The following information has been put out by Metlink and the great news is that all public transport in the Hutt Vally will be accessible from 17th June and all transport across the Wellington Region will be accessible from 15th July. Please share this information so we can help get this message out.
In case you’re not aware, on Sunday Metlink is improving the Hutt Valley’s public transport network, with a fleet of new buses, new services and transfers between Metlink buses at no extra cost.
From Sunday 17 June:
- Transfer at no extra cost between all Metlink buses, within 30 minutes of tagging off, when using Snapper.
- Riverstone Terraces will have a new weekday service and Belmont, Korokoro, Stokes Valley Heights, Trentham and Pinehaven will have a new Saturday service.
- Changes to school buses, including routes, timetables and how to pay.
- A new generation of lemon and lime, planet-friendly buses is rolled out – but not all at once. If you’re catching a bus, please check the number and destination rather than the colour of the bus. All our lemon and lime buses can be lowered for easier access.
- We are introducing bike racks on our new Metlink bus fleet and by 2019 all Metlink buses will carry bike racks. For more information check out our bike racks on buses page.
- Timetables are changing too in preparation for the wider changes in July so that buses and trains are more integrated. That means, for a short while, connections between bus and rail services will not be perfect, so please check your new bus timetable carefully.
From Sunday 15 July:
- Simpler and fairer fares, including new passes and discounts for students, people with disabilities, and adults travelling during the off-peak periods.
- More frequent trains on weekdays between 9 am and 3 pm – every 20 minutes rather than every 30 minutes.
- Snapper will be the only card accepted on all Metlink public and school buses in the whole Greater Wellington region. If you have a Mana/Newlands or Uzabus card, Metlink will provide you with a free Snapper card. You can still pay in cash or use your SuperGold card.
- Transfers at no extra cost on all Metlink buses in the region, when using Snapper.
- Small improvements to timetables for peak rail services
- Rejigged bus timetables for better connections with the new rail timetable.
Find out more
For more information about the changes please see our website. Our updated Journey Planner now provides information on trips from 15 July, including all the new timetables, routes and fares.
You can also call us on 0800 801 700 and sign up for updates.