Recent fires in Nelson are a sobering reminder that you never know when a disaster can strike. The wellbeing of humans is often foremost in emergency plans but sometimes, emergency personnel
Items to include:
- Dog food, enough for 3 days minimum (a can opener for tinned food)
- Water, enough for 3 days minimum
- Light weight plastic bowls for food and water
- Extra leash, collar and dog waste bags
- Towel or blanket for guide dog to lie on
- Some basic first aid material to treat minor wounds, remove foreign bodies and stop excessive bleeding etc.
- Medication and instructions
- Medical records, vaccination records, and a recent photo of you and your guide dog for easy identification if you become separated
- An extra cane in case your guide dog is unable to guide you.
Remember to pack light, as you may need to evacuate. A backpack is recommended to keep your hands free. Store all paperwork in a watertight plastic bag or container and don’t forget to regularly replace food, water