Thursday 18 May was Global Awareness Accessibility Day. The purpose of the day is to get everyone talking, thinking and learning about digital (web, software, mobile etc.) Access/inclusion and people with different disabilities.
I attended an Accessibility is a Good Investment event hosted by the Blind Foundation and SQUIZ where a number of speakers talked about why it makes good business sense to make sure technology is accessible for everyone right from the beginning.
- Neil Jarvis, GM Strategic Relations, Blind Foundation – Why access to communication and information matters – ‘Click away’ survey and what is means for NZ.
- Jason Kiss – Senior Adviser in Digital Engagement, Department of Internal Affairs – the Government’s plans for implementing web accessibility.
- Wendy Youens – CEO Able NZ – Making mass media entertainment accessible.
- Philippa Friary – President, NZ Speech Language Therapists Association – What is Inclusive communication and are we doing to improve access to television services.
- Dr Jonathan Godfrey, President, Blind Citizens NZ – We are citizens too.
- Vaughan Curd, Senior Developer, Squiz—How Developers Make Websites Accessible, and some A11y Allies for managing website accessibility.