In case you’re not aware, on Sunday 15 July Metlink begins the final phase of the programme to improve bus services in the Wellington region.
This stage will cover Wellington City, Porirua and Kapiti where there will be a fleet of new buses, new services, simpler fares, and more convenient methods of payment.
This information is part of our programme to tell the community about the changes that come into effect from 15 July. We’d like your help to do this, so please share the news or get in touch for more information.
From Sunday 15 July:
- Changes to buses, including routes, timetables and how to pay. There will also be changes to school bus services from July 23 when the new term commences.
- Transfer at no extra cost between all Metlink buses, within 30 minutes of tagging off, when using Snapper.
- A new generation of lemon and lime, low-emission, planet-friendly buses is rolled out – but not all at once. If you’re catching a bus, please check the number and destination rather than the colour of the bus. All our lemon and lime buses can be lowered for easier access.
- We are introducing bike racks on our new Metlink bus fleet and by 2019 all Metlink buses will carry bike racks. For more information check out our bike racks on buses page.
- Simpler and fairer fares, including new passes and discounts for students, people with disabilities, and adults travelling during the off-peak periods.
- More frequent trains on weekdays between 9am and 3pm – every 20 minutes rather than every 30 minutes.
- Snapper will be the only card accepted on all Metlink public and school buses in the whole Greater Wellington region. If you have a Mana/Newlands or Uzabus card, Metlink will provide you with a free Snapper card. You can still pay in cash or use your SuperGold card.
- Transfers at no extra cost on all Metlink buses in the region, when using Snapper.
- Small improvements to timetables for peak rail services
- Rejigged bus timetables for better connections with the new rail timetable.
There may be a few bumps in the road
This is the biggest change to public transport in the Wellington region in decades, and because of its scale and complexity we have to expect at times there may be discomfort and inconvenience for some.
There will be new routes, new timetables and new drivers so please bear this in mind as you plan your bus travel in the initial few weeks after the changeover. Check timetables and maybe allow a little extra time to make your journeys. Employers and schools, please understand if people are late.
We apologise for any inconvenience, but please be assured that our staff will spare no effort to rectify any issues that may arise and to minimise any disruptions.
We need to make these changes so the growing and thriving Wellington region has a public transport system that’s fit for the future, so please bear with us as we bed the new system in. It will be worth it in the end.
Informing the community
Metlink staff, our AmBUSsadors, are now in the community providing information directly to customers.
There is also detailed information about the changes on our website www.metlink.org.nz. Our updated Journey Planner now provides information on trips from 15 July, including all the new timetables, routes and fares.
You can also call us on 0800 801 700 and sign up for updates.